Jump to What Interests you Most

Search This Blog

Thursday, January 31, 2013

February 2013 Goals


My goals this month are centered on getting back on track. These past few months (November, December and January) I've been plagued by illness that has really halted my fitness goals. 

I haven't suffered from anything serious, just the annoying common cold. But when you're sick you can't get out there and it starts to catch up with you.

This week, for example, I haven't been able to do anything because the antibiotics I'm on won't allow me to sweat. 

I have one of those strep throat infections that I blame on the germy kids I have to teach everyday.

 So Friday I take my final pills and that's when I'm getting back out there. I really miss running and it's only been a week. However, because of these non-planned hiatuses (is that a word?) I won't be running the Seville Marathon this year.

I am simply not ready and if I run it again I want to improve my time from the one I ran in Ciudad Real. I also don't want to get injured by running that much distance when the last time I ran (after the 25K) was only 8 miles. I don't need to prove anything to anyone and I'd rather be injury free.

One thing I have been doing is looking tentatively at ultramarathon training schedules and tips and tricks. For this month I want to mentally, and physically, prepare myself for running longer distances. I don't have a particular race in mind or timeline but I need to get back on a regular running schedule.

My first run on Friday will be 6 miles and then I'll build up from there. I want to start running 5 times a week, which will be adding on a day from my previous running routines. 

Right now I'm sticking with my own manufactured running schedule. Once I feel like I'm back at my marathon fitness level I'll start seriously pursuing my ultramarathon investigations.

In a nutshell: February goals are to stay healthy, stay running and stay injury free. I've put together a new legs routine to strengthen my quads as I don't usually pay much attention to them. I'll share that workout routine soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment