Jump to What Interests you Most

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Vegan Macaroni and Cheese

 
Vegan Macaroni and Cheese 
 
12 ounces macaroni (I used whole wheat)
1 shallot, peeled and chopped
1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup onion (I used red onion)
1/2 cup chick peas
1 cup water
1/4 cup raw cashews
some extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp garlic, minced (I used garlic powder)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp. cayenne
1/4 tsp. paprika

Cook pasta, drain, rinse with cold water and then set aside. In a pan add shallots, potatoes, carrots, onion, beans and water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until tender (15-20 minutes). When that is done preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (176 Celsius). In a blender process cashews, salt, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, pepper, cayenne and veggies with their water. Process until smooth. Toss the pasta with the sauce, put in a dish and bake 25-30 minutes.

It may seem unbelievable (because it was to me) but this really, REALLY tastes like mac and cheese! I was so thrilled when I made it because it was so easy and so delicious. I made it last week and it was a hit with my husband. 
 
I actually made it again today (yes, it's that good) and mixed in some sauteed spinach, peas and roasted red peppers. I also doubled the "cheese" so that we had extra to put on top because it's so tasty.

I got this recipe from a website called Feed Me I'm Cranky although a gluten-free version was posted. Please, please try this!

No comments:

Post a Comment